Wednesday, October 16, 2013

A photo post to catch up on my posts.

I started this blog as a way to help me remember what I have been doing, as well as a way to share my work with others. I have been lax with posting these aide mémoire so I will do a kind of photo album with captions as a way to catch up without spending hours writing. I hope the photos will be enough to help me remember the events...that is if they have not already faded from memory. Thank goodness for cameras and other recording devices. 
I don't keep up with my posts in the summer because I am outside working on the garden and yard whenever it is not pouring rain. Hard work outside is a key to happiness for me. This year I harvested enough strawberries to eat, freeze, and to make a double batch of jam. Picked 16 pounds of black raspberries, some of which got frozen; though many were eaten over vanilla ice cream! SO YUMMY! 


 I canned many jars of tomatos, sauce, and soup stock. I havested vegetables in the evenings for dinner. It makes me feel like I have something to contribute to the household since I am not finacially able to do much. 
Along with the harvesting I did a lot of collecting of plant material for dyeing and eco printing. Here are some examples that I have not shown here before. Marigold petals and cosmos from my garden gave good color. Plum leaves gave that gorgeous plum purple. ;)




I experimented with mordants...



The photo above is of the same piece of cloth premordanted with alum. I then dipped different sections in copper water, vinegar, and washing soda.

In August I needed to get back to felting for some up coming craft shows. Some bags got finished...




 
and a wine bottle holder...


a scarf or two...




 
and some jewelry. Most of the jewelry was made in a fantastic workshop with Judit Pocs. What a sweet person and a superstar feltmaker. I am SO glad that I had the opportunity to take her class.









I took advantage of some nice days to wash fleeces.


The grey Border Leister/Shetland was used in the grease to make my purse. It did not need much washing. The brown Icelandic however....smelly dirty, but such a pretty color, some of it is almost red.

I finally got around to making the fall jacket I wanted. I have had the fabric and wool for well over a year...just waiting. First I made yardage and then tried to figure out a way to make it wearable.





 I wore my jaclet at the Southern Adirondack Fiber festival where I helped my friend Robin Blakney-Carlson with her booth. I demonstrated how I create a landscapes to promote my upcoming class at Robin's studio, while Robin showed her great skill at Nuno felting. I was interviewed for a newspaper in Glens Falls while I was covering for Robin who was teaching a class. My landscape was a flop. I didn't have a reference photo, all my colors of wool,  and the lighting was bad...how's that for excuses. Oh well they can't all be winners and I find I learn more from the mistakes. I decided that it will make a cool tote bag if I fold and sew it.




My current projects are two pieces that I am doing for the upcoming Granby Land Trust Art show that I try to enter every year. This years theme is about agriculture in the Farmington Valley.  I am working on a felt landscape of Cherry Brook Farm in Canton, CT. Here is the layout.


I am also working on a piece in colored pencil. I am actually enjoying drawing again.


Next up will be preparing to teach at Robin's in November and down near Washington, DC. at the end of this month. I want to do a bit of dyeing for those classes. I also have to frame some things for this years show and sale at Wesleyan Potters.
And of course I am still visiting the garden.. I had no idea that the Morning Glories would grow enough to cover my folly.





I love Morning Glories!






3 comments:

  1. All this wonderful work deserves comment here! What a busy summer you had. Love the garden and morning glory pix and as I am totally addicted to eco-print enjoyed seeing your experiments.Your fall garment made from the yardage..lovely. All the best on your many shows and etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love all your work, and so glad to see that you included what you consider to be flops. Great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the lovely comments Ginny and Becky.
    Ginny, I was really into the eco prints after I took India's class years ago. I even drove with pruning shears in my car, just in case I saw something new to try.
    Becky, I think it is good to share the flops. I learned when I was drawing for Merriam-Webster that not every piece is going to be a winner but that does not say anything about whether you are good or not. No one can perform at their best all the time...we just have to try our best!

    ReplyDelete