Saturday, August 21, 2010

Busy, Busy, Busy!

I am feeling a bit stressed about all the things coming up the next few weeks. A week long felting retreat to prepare for, for which I leave on the 30th. Come back on the 5th, a one day show on the 6th, and a show on the 11th and 12th. It may not sound like much but I am someone who lives a quiet, stay at home life and generally stresses about everything anyway. At least I feel good that I have been finishing things. Having a deadline can be good in that way.
I finally finished this hat that I started maybe a year ago. AND  I am happy with the way it came out!



The feathers are from my buttercup rooster who happens to be molting. I risked being pecked to gather them from the pen he has been incarcerated in. The black ones have a green iridescence. (I washed them before I sewed them on!)

I used my jelly rolls to make some hair clips for the booth.


And I rinsed, pressed, and photographed some of the silk scarves that I dyed (wash fast acid dyes). I was going to use them for felting but I liked them too much as is. Maybe they will sell. (An added stress factor is that I have been over spending and really need to make some money!)

I had a lot of fun taking photos of the scarves dancing in the wind.





I also finished this bag. It is a 'green' bag; undyed, locally sourced wool, some of which was raised right here in town.




And though I told myself I needed to hold off on the natural dyeing I must confess that I did do some and in fact have a pot going right now. I decided that could be cooking while I am rolling the four felt scarves I laid out yesterday :)


These are my eco-print experiments overdyed in a pot with the berberis thunbergii I got from the local convenience store.


I made this piece with a fun piece of metal here that I think will see a lot more use.





This chocolate silk piece was in the same iron pot. I also had partial success with using my metal roosters as a resist as they are exact mirror images.
Not crazy about the colors I got (this was an overdye) but I can see the roosters do have potential.


Lunch break is over now so back to work...


No comments:

Post a Comment